Tuesday, November 29, 2011

TAMARAC TURKEY TROT 11/24/2011


Like the Masters, the Turkey Trot is a tradition like no other.  Okay…That’s probably a pretty big exaggeration, but the Turkey Trot holds a great deal of sentimental value for me.

If you have ever seen the award-winning documentary “I Am a Runner” (and let’s face it, who hasn’t seen it by now), you know that this is the race that spring-boarded my running career.  Although a 5K is for the most part beneath me in terms of distance, I always have a place in my heart (and my racing calendar) for this run.

Since 1996, the routine has been the same:  Doug picks me up at my house; we compete in the race, go back to his house and visit with his family, and make our way back to my house.  As the years have rolled on, we have picked up other runners along the way, most notably Doug’s two daughters Britney and Brooke as well as my daughter Rachel.  This year, my good friend Cyndy from Jacksonville decided to run with us.  Doug has experienced some medical issues over the years, and this is the only race he enters.  It’s a shame, since he was way faster than me, but now he is just a shell of the runner he once was.  Despite his physical issues, his enthusiasm for this race never dampers.

With the Palm Beach Marathon looming on December 4th, this race came at a perfect time.  Since I am tapering off before the marathon, my running schedule had me do seven miles Wednesday, the Turkey Trot on Thursday, five miles on Friday, and an always exciting eleven mile run with the Ocala Turtles on Saturday.  With over 1,500 participants, this race is always well attended.  As the gun sounded, I wasn’t really sure how I was going to attack this run.  Because the race is so short, you have no room for slacking if you want to PR.  I had a pretty good pace in the beginning, but I’ve gone out quicker in previous races.  I did have a negative split, which made me very happy.  As I crossed the finish line, I was 45 seconds off my targeted goal.  This may not seem like much, but it’s an eternity in a 5K.

Doug told me that he was within 30 feet of me in the last mile, but then felt like he was carrying a refrigerator on his back.  It was sad for me to hear that, and reminded me how fortunate I am to not have any serious physical ailments. 

As Cyndy and Rachel crossed the finish line, we grabbed a bagel and bottle of water and make our way to Doug’s house.

Let the festivities begin!




KEEP TRACK OF MY RUNNING ON running apps

No comments:

Post a Comment