Wednesday, April 30, 2014

YOUR "ENCOURAGEMENT" IS SOUL CRUSHING


I HATE when other runners offer words of encouragement to me.  I think it's a total showoff move.  You don't have to remind me that "you're almost there," or that I'm doing a "good job."  At the risk of sounding like a Debby Downer, maybe I would see things differently if I were faster (and let's not get into those runners who have to do a "cool down" run, which is conveniently in the opposite direction of the race).  That being said, Scott Martin of Runners World magazine seems to agrees with me:

Your "Encouragement" is Soul Crushing.
By Scott Martin

I was a little more than two miles into a 5K race and I was hurting. As I crested a small hill, I fought to maintain my pace, hoping to PR, and I was failing miserably. While doing my best to fight off the pain, the urge to quit, and the urge to throw up, I had my soul crushed in six words:

"Nice job, sir, keep it up."

I looked around first for my father because I still can't believe anyone would call me sir. Then I looked for the person who made the comment as they went blazing by me. I had to look down because that person was a young boy, probably no older than 11.

Soul. Crushed.

This kid was making my 5K pace, which I was fighting so hard to maintain, look like an easy jog. My hard effort looked like a recovery run to this little guy.

And there you have it, the reason I do not think it is okay to encourage a stranger as you pass him or her during a race. It's bad enough to get passed during a race; it's so much worse when the person passing you gives you the ole "attaboy" as they make you look like you are standing still.

If you are a spectator or a runner who has finished the race, feel free to cheer all you want. If you are still racing and make me look fat and slow (that's not hard) don't make it worse by verbally bringing it to my attention that you are passing me. And if you do, not be surprised if I mutter something ugly in your direction as I gasp for breath.

You passed me, and I'm not happy. No words are going to help me get over that, unless they are, "hurry up, I'll buy you a beer."

KEEP TRACK OF MY RUNNING ON running apps


No comments:

Post a Comment