Tuesday, February 17, 2015

5 POINTS OF LIFE MARATHON - 02/15/2015


Remember when I said that if I were to run more marathons, I would like to try something new?  To quote the rock group Cinderella: “The more things change, the more they stay the same.”

This was shaping up to be the first year since 2007 that I had not completed a full marathon.  With a partially torn hamstring in October, and now suffering from Patellar Tracking Disorder, I had not run more than 15 miles at any one time since the summer.  The mind was willing, but I could not be certain that the body was able.  That being said, if there were ever a race I would want to gut out 26.2 miles, this was it.  My affection for this race has been well documented in past blog posts.  The race is first class, and so are the folks who work hard to put it on.  We apparently have a affection for one another, as 5 Points of Life follows my blog, and will often retweet my posts.  In making a sample chroma key project for my students, I selected the 5 Points of Life Marathon for my subject.  Needless to say, it was a big hit.



When Terri noticed that I had registered for the race, she asked if I had signed up for the full or the half.  I did the full with her and Elaine in 2013, and had a blast.  Terri has become significantly faster than me, so there would be no way I could keep up with her this year.  She was planning on running with Chuck, so the pace would not be as quick.  I still had a couple of weeks to decide, but my body would ultimately make the final choice.  Later on in the week, there was a cancellation in the Gasparilla Distance Classic, and I was able to enter the Amber Challenge (to be covered thoroughly in my next blog post).  The Amber Challenge involves running a 15K and a 5K on Saturday, followed by a half marathon on Sunday.  This made my decision for Gainesville an easy one…or was it?

Glenda drove up with me on Saturday, and I gave Terri a call from the car (hands-free of course).  I was planning on running the half marathon with both her and Chuck, as the race splits right around the 13 mile mark.  I don’t really remember how it happened, but in the blink of an eye, Terri convinced me to enter the full marathon!  From an emotional standpoint, I knew I could do it.  From a physical standpoint, I knew I could do it.  My big concern was the physical fallout after the race, and how much of a role it would play on my performance at Gasparilla.

Jen met us for lunch, and we then made our way to the expo.  When I went to “supersize” my entry, Elli greeted me (the 5 Points of Life Program Coordinator).  Both Glenda and Jen were stunned that she knew me by name, as well as some of the other folks at the expo.  They are fans of my blog, and I see Elli every year when I do the race.  I usually make a purchase at the expo, but it was Glenda who scored a pair of running shoes this year.  We then met Paula and Bill for an early Valentine’s Day dinner, and they were gracious enough to let us stay with them that night.


The race started at 7am, and it was about 45 degrees when I met up with Terri, Bettie and Chuck.  This was just what the doctor ordered when you have not trained for a full marathon, and have concerns about your knee.  There were a total of 808 participants, with 140 running the full, and 668 running the half.  This was also the tenth anniversary of the race, which made the race shirts and the medals extra special and collectable.




As good as I felt physically running Clearwater, Miami and Melbourne, my good luck would not carry over to this race.  The adrenaline of running in Gainesville worked to my advantage, but my knee hurt right from the start.  It was not the kind of pain that would hinder my performance; it was still a nagging pain nevertheless.   Conversation with Terri and Chuck kept me distracted in a good way, as Chuck is a true fountain of information.  The first ten miles always seem to go by too quick, if you can imagine that.  The course is very scenic, especially if you bleed orange and blue.  Running through the Swap is a rush, followed by a trip down Fraternity Row, and past Lake Alice.  When we hit mile marker 13, there was no turning back.




I started a get a little tired around the 17-mile mark.  My legs were beginning to tighten up, and Chuck was slowing down as well.  It was now time to face my number one nemesis…Williston Road!  This year, I was determined to make this stretch of highway my bitch!  The wind was at our backs, and the temperature was now around 70 degrees.  As much as my knee was hurting, the support from Chuck and the volunteers made it go quicker than usual.  Making that right turn onto 34th Avenue, I knew I had conquered the beast.

The last five miles were very pleasant, but I received a tremendous surprise right at the end of the race (not counting the woman handing out beer at mile marker 25).  With about four-tenths of a mile to go, one of the volunteers shouted out to me “Thanks for coming, I love reading your blog.”  To say I felt like a rock star would be a major understatement.  I crossed the finish line both happy and sorry the race was over.  I can honestly say that these emotions are reserved only for this race.  Elli and Brite were both standing at the finish line with big smiles on their faces.  It was easy to see that they were proud of their hard work and dedication.  My knee was pretty swollen, and it wasn’t the easiest thing to walk to the car.  Was it worth the pain?  It’s Gainesville baby!


Thanks to everyone at 5 Points of Life for once again reminding me why I love running marathons so much.  As an added bonus, check out the photo below.  It's Elli and Mr. Salty!



KEEP TRACK OF MY RUNNING ON running apps


No comments:

Post a Comment