Wednesday, February 9, 2011

MARATHON MAN

running apps

After more than ten years of competitive running, it was finally time to put on my “big boy” pants and start training for a marathon.  It was something that I dreaded, but at the same time, it was something I needed to do.

I will tell you up front that I hate running marathons.  They are long, grueling and more physically demanding than you could ever imagine.  Then why do I keep torturing myself like this?  Because I can!  Seriously…any athlete will tell you that they always wonder how they would compete at the next level.  I needed to know how I could handle 26.2 miles, even if I only competed one time.  I registered for the A1A Marathon , which takes place on Ft. Lauderdale Beach.  The starting line is in front of the Museum of Discovery and Science on Las Olas Blvd, but the race is mostly an out and back on A1A.

The training for this race was very difficult.  I was running distances I’ve never attempted before, and besides the physical toll it was taking on my body, I was concerned that I wasn’t embracing the challenge.  I was seeing this as something I “had” to do, rather than something I “wanted” to do.

The race had around 4,000 entrants; most of which were only doing the half marathon.  I only had to wait about three minutes after the gun sounded until I was officially “on the clock.”  We ran east on Las Olas Blvd. over the intercostal, and then straight down the beach on A1A.  There were very few people out cheering, but it still had the feel of a big time race.  I was feeling good early on, but I was totally unprepared for what was about to happen.

Around the 13 mile mark, for reasons I still cannot explain, I suddenly “hit the wall.” 13 miles was a distance I could figuratively do in my sleep; how could I be totally out of gas?  I started to walk, with the hope of catching a “second wind”; sadly, it never happened.  I finished the race totally beaten down and demoralized; I did some serious soul searching on the drive home.

I would wait almost one year later to attempt my next marathon.  I felt more prepared both physically and emotionally for the Five Points of Life Marathon up in Gainesville.  Pam had already committed to participating in another marathon later in the month, but she said that she would run the half to help keep me company. Of the 1,000 participants, only 125 runners were doing the full marathon.  After Pam and I parted ways at the half way point, I literally saw only three runners during the last 13.1 miles.  As scenic and picturesque as the first part of the race was, the last half was pretty much out and back on Williston Road.  As I crossed the finish line, I was surprised to find that they had already packed up the finish line!  Talk about low budget!  On a positive note, my time was a little better, but still not even in the ballpark of where I wanted to be.
Everything turned around last year, as I attempted to tackle the A1A Marathon once again.  I had increased my training to a new level (thanks to Pam) and I felt totally prepared for this race.  When I crossed the finish line, not only did I set a personal best …I shattered my old record!  If I were to never run another marathon again, I could sleep at night knowing that I accomplished something special.

But alas…Pam was not going to let me off the hook that easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment