Thursday, February 10, 2011

THE OCALA MARATHON – 1/23/2011

running apps

I was pleasantly surprised when both Elaine and Pam told me they wanted to run the full Ocala Marathon this year.  We had previously competed in the half, and I was really looking forward to running a full marathon with my buddies for the first time.  With the National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer (26.2 With Donna) coming up on February 13th, this was a great chance to run two marathons within a three week window.


Elaine and Pam both offered to let me stay with them, since they live in the Ocala/Silver Springs area.  After a spirited game of “Rock-Paper-Scissors,” I would lodge with Pam and her husband Joe.  An extra added bonus for the weekend was the opportunity to spend Saturday with my oldest daughter Lindsey, since she is a student at the University of Florida.

I left early Saturday morning and drove straight to the race expo at the Ocala Holiday Inn Conference Center.  I met up with Elaine and Pam, bought a pair of compression sleeves for my arms, and continued my journey for another 35 miles to Gator Country.  Lindsey and I had an early dinner, and then made our way to the O-Dome to watch the Gators destroy Arkansas 75-43 in basketball.  I arrived back at Pam’s house around 11 pm and went right to bed.


It was a chilly 28 degrees when the race started.  With only 130 participants doing the full marathon (302 were doing the half), we got going right as the gun sounded.  Jennifer had not entered the race, but met up with us at the five mile mark.  She was still training for the 26.2 With Donna, and planned on staying with us for about five miles.


Since I usually run “lone wolf” style, running with my buddies made all the difference in the world.  I could not even begin to describe just how great I felt at the end of the race, both physically and emotionally.  With about two miles left, I got this unexplained burst of energy, and literally sprinted across the finish line.


I did not set a personal best, but I came pretty close.  We probably putzed around at the water stations longer than we should have, but it was fair tradeoff.  The entertainment value alone was worth the price of admission; I don’t see myself running another marathon without my posse.


I’m looking forward to 26.2 With Donna this weekend.

KEEP TRACK OF MY RUNNING ON running apps

 

No comments:

Post a Comment