Friday, March 29, 2019

RACE FOR WOMEN'S WELLNESS HALF MARATHON - March 23, 2019


In the words of Patti Labelle: “Ooh oh ooo oh, I've got a new attitude.”

Yes, I ran this race again, even though I besmirch it all of the time.  However, I had some pretty good reasons to register this year:
  1. I needed a race to get to Half Marathon #60.  I could have done Ocala, but this was more convenient.
  2. They dropped the price around $20.  As I’ve mentioned several times in past blogs, this was a really overpriced race: now it was in the ballpark.
  3. Most importantly, it’s for a really good cause.
There you have it.  Half marathon #60 would be right in my backyard…literally.

This post is going to be short, sweet, and right to the point.  I decided to change my attitude, and just enjoy the race.  It was probably going to be the last of the season, and I wanted to end on a really high note.  Doug was running as well, so I was looking forward to seeing him.  The start is literally five minutes from my house, but I got there early to get a chance to visit with Doug before we started running.  Doug and I have gone in opposite directions in terms of finishing times, so running together was highly unlikely.  The temperature was 54°, which was amazing for the end of March.  419 runners entered the race, but it didn’t look like that many as we made our way to the starting line (Doug estimated around 200, and I can’t judge a crowd at all).  As soon as we started, I felt great.  The good vibes, along with the weather, seemed like a recipe for success.


I was really enjoying the race this year.  No Debbie Downer attitude, and digging the scenery.  I texted Glenda and Rachel around the nine mile mark to make sure they were in position to cheer me on as I passed the house.  They were already in place, with smiling faces, and a Diet Mountain Dew for the last three miles.

   

I really ran strong at the end, and crossed the finish line in a full sprint.  I met up with Doug, and he was proud to inform me that he had a PR.  My time was not great, but it was a really strong race for me.

 

I’m guessing I’ll run this race next year.  Ooh oh ooo oh, I've got a new attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment