Friday, December 6, 2019

MAYBERRY HALF MARATION - November 16, 2019




Mount Airy is a city in Surry County, North Carolina. The town is widely known as the home of actor Andy Griffith. The town is believed to have been the basis for Mayberry, the setting of the TV shows The Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry RFD. The community holds an annual "Mayberry Days" celebration during the last weekend of September. Three Ford Galaxie police cars, painted to resemble those used on the show, give rides to tourists; a barber shop has been named "Floyd's."  The Andy Griffith Museum, founded in 2009 by Emmett Forrest, attracts 200 visitors a day. The 2,500-square-feet museum, located half a mile from Griffith's childhood home, houses the world's largest collection of Andy Griffith memorabilia.

At this point, you may be asking yourself why in tarnation am I going on about this in a running blog?  If you don’t know by now, the Andy Griffith Show is my all-time favorite; the fact that there is actually a Mayberry Half Marathon is incentive enough for me to enter.  That fact that Elaine lives very close to Mount Airy (and has run this race before), is just icing on Aunt Bee’s cake.  The Gators usually play a home game the same weekend as the race; this year the game was away, so I was excited to enter.  I’ve been to Mount Airy many years ago, and remember just how charming the town was.  I really never thought I would have an excuse for another visit. Elaine and Joe graciously offered to let me stay with them, so I flew up on Thursday.  Other than the fact that this would only be my third race outside the Sunshine State, the weather would be much colder than this Florida boy was used to.  Once off the plane, I was greeted with temperatures in the forties.  Joe picked me up from the airport, which was almost an hour from their home.

Our first stop on Friday was to Salvation Coffee Co.  The place (owned and run by Jim Young) is geared towards a more mature crowd, including veterans, although anyone, of course, is welcome — including hipsters. He wants it to be a place where people can come in, relax, enjoy good music and, of course, a good cup of coffee.  It was a really good cup of coffee (especially on a cold day), and I struck up a conversation about comic books with a guy who was a bigger geek than me (hard to believe).  After an enjoyable lunch at Mediterranean Grill, our next stop was to a running store in Chapel Hill called FleetFeet.  They had more apparel than shoes, but I was able to score a pair of gray running shorts (I’ve been looking for that color for a long time).  We than drove around Elon University, which is pretty close to where Elaine and Joe live.  I of course had to stop in the bookstore to buy a jacket; you just can’t have too many of them when you live in South Florida.  Elaine made a delicious supper, and I went to bed pretty early.

The race time was Saturday at 8am, but Elaine and Joe live around 90 minutes from the starting line.  We were out the door around 5am, and picked up our race packets around 6:30am.  The race shirts were very nice, and the volunteers were even nicer.  With the temperature around 34°, we sat in the car most of the time.  Joe had registered for the run, but had recently been having knee issues; he was there for moral support.  399 runners took their mark on the main street of “Mayberry,” led by a Mayberry Sheriff Department police car from the show.  We ran through downtown for the first half mile, and then into a park.  Most of the race was on a concrete trail, with a river alongside of us.  The course was an out-and-back, and very flat.  With so few runners (and me being extremely slow), Elaine and I did not see many other participants, especially on the way back.  The weather was delightful, with virtually no wind the entire race.  The scenery was exceptional, and I felt great the entire time.  The good news is that we did not finish last, as there were ten runners behind us.  I appreciate the fact that Elaine prioritized running with me over her finishing time, as she is much faster than I am (what a surprise).  Joe was waiting for us at the finish line, and snapped a few photos.  The medal was nice, as it was shaped like a sheriff’s badge (I’d expect nothing less).  We walked around town for a bit, ate lunch, drove home, and watched the Gators destroy Missouri.  The perfect end to a perfect day.  I flew home the next day, and back into eighty-degree temperature.  Talk about a reality check!




  
I enjoyed this race very much, but would not necessary recommend it as a destination race.

That is of course…unless your close friends are part of the destination.




No comments:

Post a Comment