Thursday, December 26, 2019

MOUNT DORA HALF MARATHON - December 22, 2019



It’s the most wonderful time of the year.  Glenda’s birthday, our anniversary, the holidays, and of course…the Mount Dora Half Marathon.

I am a big fan of this race.  I’ve participated all eight years, and I absolutely love the course. Glenda and I left around noon on Friday, with Rachel declining our invitation to tag along this year.  Friday was our anniversary (38 years), and I’m sure “G$” would have had other plans for the weekend.  The cottage we usually stay in at the Historic Mount Dora Inn was taken, so Melanie put us in the “Tin-Roof” cottage.  It’s a two-story building, which meant we would have to schlep all of our bags up a flight of stairs.  That notwithstanding, it was extremely nice, and we kept the windows open the whole time.  The temperature was predicted to be in the high-sixties/low-seventies for most of the weekend, with very little rain…except for race time.  Based on all forecasts, there was a good chance I could be running in a monsoon.  In fact, the race sent out emails earlier in the week preparing us for the soggy conditions.  I’ve run in the rain before, and was not going to let this “dampen” my fun (see what I just did there?).  We stopped by The Cellar Door Tasting Room & Wine Bar for an anniversary drink, and then supper at the Goblin Market.  We haven’t eaten there in about five years, mostly because it’s tough to get reservations, and the youngins don’t really dig the menu.  We sat outside, and took advantage of the cooler temperatures.  We then walked around to check out the lights, which are truly second to none.


The one real drawback to coming to Mount Dora is that there isn’t much to do locally.  This year, Glenda and I were determined to make the most out of our Saturday afternoon.  After deciding on the local flea market and antique mall, Melanie suggested we visit Blue Spring State Park.  Since I’m very much into the “great outdoors,” this was a no-brainer for me.  On the other hand, Glenda needed a little more convincing.  We did our usual brunch at One Flight Up, where I solicited the opinions of as many people as I could.  They all have very favorable feedback of the park, and I think I was starting to sway Glenda.  We then walked across the street to Donnelly Park to pick up my race packet.  I had a long conversation with the race director Vicky (who is super-nice) about how this race has not succumbed to big corporations trying to take over the management of the event; this gave me even more appreciation of her hard work in keeping this a first-class event.  I told her that I would be running in my Hanukkah shirt, and may be the only Jewish person in the race.  Vicky quickly reminded me that she was Jewish, and there were 50 families who are members of the Traditional Congregation of Mount Dora (she was actually missing services to work the expo).  She then introduced us to legendary marathon great Bill Rogers, who is a regular at this race.   It was now time to hit the road, and make our way to our outdoor adventure.


Blue Spring State Park is a state park located west of Orange City. Activities include canoeing, SCUBA diving, kayaking, fishing, camping, hiking, wildlife watching, and swimming. The spring in the Park (Volusia Blue Spring) is the largest on the St. Johns River. Thanks to its relatively warm temperature of 73°, the spring attracts many Florida manatees during the winter months.  Believe it or not, I have never seen a manatee out in the wild; since it was manatee season, the park was closed to all water activities (not that we would partake in any of them).  It was about a 45-minute drive, and the park was not crowded at all.  We walked along the boardwalk, and were able to see a good number of manatees.  The weather was great, and I could tell that Glenda was glad she let me impose my will on her.  Back in Mount Dora, we did some shopping, and then did an early supper at The Frog and Monkey.  This was a first for us, as our usual spots had too long of a wait.  It had not started to rain yet, but if you looked at the radar, you could see the impending doom.  Since we slept with the windows open, I could hear the rain starting to come down around 1am.  I didn’t sleep much that night, and the rain never stopped.

  
As my alarm sounded at 5am, it was still raining.  Not hard, but enough to consider breaking out the poncho.  The plan was to wear the poncho before the start of the race, and maybe take if off once the race started (weather permitting).  The starting line is only 5 minutes from the cottage, so it would truly be a race-time decision.  As I started to walk over, the rain had totally stopped.  It was truly a holiday miracle!  I had not taken my poncho out of the package yet, so I stuffed it in my pocket, just in case.  796 took to the starting line, which was 44 less that last year.  Considering the forecast, I would say that was a win.  Apparently, I was not the only Jewish person entered in this race, as my Hanukkah shirt attracted many others of the same religion.  Once the gun sounded, it started to rain again.  Since it rained all night, the course was wet, but there were no puddles.  I was a little winded in the beginning, but nothing too serious.  I don’t particularly like wearing a hat when I run, but it was necessary.  The rain was constant for most of the race, but only sprinkles.  The inclement weather kept the sun at bay, but I wish it were a bit cooler.  I was running very strong, and really enjoying the sights.


As I reached the ten-mile turnaround, there were three things that were glaringly obvious: First, there were a lot of runners behind me (which was great for my ego).  Second, I was definitely going to finish under three hours!  Third, the rain had totally stopped.  With a little more than one mile to go, the three-hour pace group caught up to me.  I looked at them and said…NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND, and pulled away from the pack.  I crossed the finish line with time to spare, and Glenda was there to snap some photos.  The finisher medal was very nice, and totally different every year (which I totally appreciate).

 
 
This was arguably the most enjoyable Mount Dora weekend ever.  Next year, the race is actually on our anniversary.  I can’t think of a better way to celebrate...

...I’m sure Glenda can.



No comments:

Post a Comment